[ih] Arpanet line speed

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Wed Jan 18 12:55:58 PST 2017

1. the internal satellite link that connected the US to Norway was a shared
9.6 kib/s link. ARPANET and the NORSAR/SEISMO systems shared that channel.
I don't think that ever got higher until it was retired and replaced in
1982 when Europe was forced to go over TCP/IP on the shared SATNET 64 kb/s
link (later expanded to 128kb/s). The rest of the ARPANET hosts ran a mix
of NCP and TCP until January 1, 1983 when almost all hosts switched to
TCP/IP. There were a couple of exceptions that were given a few months'
reprieve.

2. The ARPANET leased lines were 50 kb/s until they were replaced by 64
kb/s DS0's except that 1 bit of 8 was taken as a framing bit, which stole 8
kb/s from 64 leaving 56 kb/s for data carrying in the US.

at least that is what I seem to remember.

New postal address:
Google
1875 Explorer Street, 10th Floor
Reston, VA 20190