[ih] Arpanet line speed

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Jan 18 10:32:47 PST 2017

    > From: "Andrew G. Malis"

    > By the time I came on board in '79, almost all of the links were 56
    > Kbps ... The 50 Kbps links had been replaced by that point.

Hmmm. I'm trying to remember when the giant rack that contained the 303
modems at MIT went away. (I should remember this, as I wound up caring for
the MIT IMPs, but I just don't recall.) Do you know any details of how the
56Kbps links worked? I.e. was there a analog modem involved, or was it
somehow provided by an underlying digital (TDMA of some sort) link, and what
kind of line was it?

Do you know why the change was made? I'm going to guess that possibly it was
cost, that whatever was used for the 56kbps was cheaper than the leased lines
used with the 303s?

	Noel