[ih] Arpanet line speed

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Jan 18 07:29:39 PST 2017

    > From: Vint Cerf

    >> The "History of the ARPANET: The First Decade" ... pg. III-32, says "In
    >> the case of a circuit from UCLA to RAND ... the service would be
    >> procured from General Telephone" - GT was the largest independent
    >> telephone company in the US at that point.

    > Noel, wasn't it GTE (General Telephone and Electric)?

It seems to be complicated! The "General Telephone" is what's in the "History"
document. According to:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTE

(not the most reliable source, I know, but I don't have anything better on hand):

  "General Telephone's holdings included 15 telephone companies across 20
  states by 1951 ... In 1959, General Telephone and Sylvania Electric Products
  merged, and the parent's name was changed to General Telephone & Electric
  Corporation"

So as of the mid-60's, perhaps the holding company was called 'GTE', but the
local subsidiaries were still plain 'GT'?

The one in question was likely "General Telephone of California", which seemed
to still exist under that name in the late 80's:

 https://www.fcc.gov/document/application-general-telephone-california-operate-broadband-transport-facilities-cerritos-ca

but from what I can glean online in a quick look, it changed its name to "GTE
California" in 1988.  Apparently it was originally "The Associated Telephone
Company", and changed its name to General Telephone of California in 1952
(probably after being acquired by GT - as it was called then).

      Noel