[ih] RAND Unix Port code

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Feb 13 12:33:19 PST 2017

OK, OK, I'll get my old listing of the Unix TCP and start scanning.
This will generate some huge files.  It's probably about 100 8.5x11
pages of stuff.  Has anybody figured out the "right" way to do this to
maximize usability (in case someone really wants to OCR or whatever)?
600DPI TIFs?  One-file-per-page?   And where on the net do you put such
piles of files so they're accessible?

Re: that Unix TCP.  My TCP was derived from Jim Mathis' TCP that was
part of the TIU and other boxes built from LSI-11s.  Jim's TCP was
written to run on top of MOS (IIRC Micro Operating System).  MOS was the
underpinning for the TIU as well.  I essentially took Jim's TCP, mixed
well with Unix V6 and Rand ports, reworked to use Unix system services
in place of MOS, reworked Rand ports to be faster, defined await/capac
primitives in Unix, and defined the basic open/close/read/write/etc
Unix-style interfaces for higher level applications to use TCP.

Re Rand ports:  I added a few lines to the basic Rand ports code to
improve performance by avoiding writing all data to the underlying disk
file (which the base code actually did although it wasn't obvious;
perhaps unintentional).  So you may find some of my fingerprints in
there too...

The other major player in the MOS family tree was the Port Expander.  A
common configuration was to put a Port Expander between your old
friendly NCP host and its ARPANET IMP.  That configuration provided 3
additional ARPANET TCP-only ports, err, sockets, err, you know, the
actual hardware connectors you plugged real physical cables into.

We never did get terminology nailed down....

/Jack