[ih] First Eurociscos [was Ethernet, was Why TCP]

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 17:20:57 PDT 2016

On 06/09/2016 10:28, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 9/5/2016 2:26 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> The game was over by 1991, although not everybody had realised it. The ITU didn't
>> really fold until 1995, but ISO certainly got there sooner.
>

> That's probably a reasonable date to cite for declaring its failure as
> being clearly and publicly visible, but I'd claim it was undeniably over
> some years before that.

It depended who you were and where you sat. For me the moment was when I
presented a talk called "Is OSI too late?" at the RARE* conference in May
1989 - although the talk gave a mixed answer to that qustion, the audience
reaction was conclusively "Yes". In January 1990, a committee of three and
a half (B.Carpenter, L.Backstrom, G.Pujolle, assisted by P.Kirstein)
reported to the RARE Council of Administration recommending that
"RARE recognises TCP/IP as complementary to OSI and preferable to
proprietary protocols for immediate use ... RARE recognises RIPE as an
appropriate body for current TCP/IP  coordination activities..."
and basically that's what happened. OSI efforts dragged on for a while,
however.

*The Europe-wide association of research networks at that time.

   Brian