[ih] First Eurociscos [was Ethernet, was Why TCP]

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Mon Sep 5 15:28:02 PDT 2016

> The game was over by 1991, although not everybody had realised it. The ITU didn't
> really fold until 1995, but ISO certainly got there sooner.

That's probably a reasonable date to cite for declaring its failure as
being clearly and publicly visible, but I'd claim it was undeniably over
some years before that.

I think I've noted this already, but around 1987 my department was
developing both various TCP/IP stacks as well as an OSI stack.  As work
progressed, we started asking our customer base about the kind of
products they might need to assist in the transition from using Internet
technologies to using OSI.

We were unprepared for how consistent the response was.  They had
serious interest only in going from OSI to TCP.  There was zero interest
in the other direction.

In my view, that was a game-over moment.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking