[ih] "network unix"

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sun Oct 9 11:36:57 PDT 2016

Hi Noel,

You're right, I should have said 32KW....but I wonder how many people
today would know what "KW" means?  I suspect many would think it
referred to the power that our ancient monsters consumed...actually
probably not far off for the bigger machines that consumed many square
feet of lab space!

The other aspect of the "Stone Age" that may not be remembered today is
that a "byte" was not yet very well-defined back then.  PDP-8s had 8-bit
bytes in 16-bit words.  Other machines made different choices.  The
PDP-10 was agnostic -- the instruction set allowed the programmer to
specify whatever byte size they liked.  So a "byte" only made sense in
the context of a specific machine.

Today of course we all know that a byte is 8 bits.  Period.  Perhaps
some historian can figure out exactly when that happened.....

Fun times...
/Jack