[ih] Ingrid Burrington on North Virginia

Andrew Blum andrew at blum.net
Tue Jan 12 09:03:48 PST 2016

This would seem an important point to bring up with the Loudon County marketing team, not to mention those at Equinix, AWS and the other major players in the region—all of whom have everything to gain from the statistic. For me, the issue here isn’t the inability to measure Internet traffic, nor journalists parroting incorrect and unverifiable marketing numbers, but the very fact that “facts” about data centers in Northern Virginia are so hard to come by. We all know why that’s the case. But if we’re talking about getting Internet history right, then all this secrecy is obviously an ongoing problem. One consequence could be the loss, or at least the diminution, of the Internet as a public good—which is a key theme of Burrington’s articles, and an idea I’d think this list would grok.