[ih] How the Soviet Union Sent Its First Man to the Internet

Dmitry Burkov dburk at burkov.aha.ru
Fri Jan 1 12:08:26 PST 2016

> On Jan 1, 2016, at 5:00 PM, Johan Helsingius <julf at julf.com> wrote:
>
>> Seems like there were a few parallel initiatives underway in late 1980's
>> early 1990's - the one I remember was Glasnet from 1991
>
> What actual physical network did Glasnet use?

Originally was based on X.25 network of VNIIPAS and SFMT,  later also use Relcom/Demos and Sprint, finally Sovam Teleport

For national access they used multiple X.25 networks.
It was also uucp based with bbs-style conference access, later migrated to TCP/IP. From 1993 - commercial provider.
It was bought by Sovam Teleport in 1998