[ih] Ethernet, was Why TCP?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Aug 31 21:29:50 PDT 2016

There was a paper, also in that early 80s timeframe, where someone
analyzed the wire-level protocols with queuing theory and other magic,
and came to an elegant mathematical conclusion.  Unfortunately I can't
remember whether it applied to Ethernet or Alohanet, or what the elegant
conclusion was, or the title/author.  It proved mathematically something
like "the system remains stable as long as you keep this key timer below
a value of 1/e".  Hence there would be no performance collapse on
Ethernets if you followed the rules.

Curiously, in the neighboring world of TCP and Internets at the time,
there was a similar conclusion reached about stability albeit not very
well quantified or elegant.  Something like "everything will be fine as
long as there is a lot more capacity in the network than the amount of
traffic being carried".

Another one was that packet loss rates of 1% on a TCP connection were OK
and could be handled with no problems.  As I recall, there was no
blackboard full of equations involved.  We just went around the room and
1% seemed reasonable to most people.

Rough consensus and running code.....

/Jack