[ih] Why TCP?

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Aug 31 18:21:09 PDT 2016

On 8/31/2016 4:53 PM, Jack Haverty wrote:
> Alohanet had more probability in its genes than East Coasters were used
> to -- so it seems "undisciplined".  But IMHO Alohanet couldn't be done
> on the East Coast because we didn't feel the same pain there as those in
> Hawaii.  Too many separate islands in Hawaii with very deep ocean
> separating them.  Wires were out of the question, so radio was the only
> choice if they wanted to communicate.

To me, the interesting part was the lack of a token mechanism, to
establish disciplined access.  Sometime later, I saw the hardware for
the UC Irvine Ring and a quarter of its real-estate was spent on the
token-establishment mechanism.

So if one wanted a cheaper mechanism, tossing out the extreme discipline
made sense to me.  We always hear about computing/storage tradeoffs.
This was a cost/channel-efficiency tradeoff.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking