[ih] Why TCP?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Aug 31 17:25:27 PDT 2016

Everyone on the planet owes you and Bob their gratitude for this
decision.  Or perhaps, in Internet tradition, a beer.  (Well, OK, a nice
cab...)

I know there are some actual historians monitoring this list, and
probably more in the future.  Lots of choices and decisions are to be
captured for the historical record.  IMHO, this was one of the most
important decisions ever in creating The Internet.  Please, historians,
capture it in the history books.   If you're looking for milestones,
this was a big one.

TCP/IP technology is fine, but there were numerous other ways to define
the technical mechanisms that could have evolved into The Internet.  The
people driving all those technologies had to make a similar decision.

They all made the wrong choice, and their technologies have all but
disappeared.   You and Bob made the right one.

Thanks for making us not have to suffer through endless chaotic decades
of struggling to get one computer to talk to another.

Even my new attic fan has an IP address.....

/Jack