[ih] Why TCP?

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Wed Aug 31 15:35:06 PDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Jack Haverty <jack at 3kitty.org> wrote:

> Someone (I wish I knew who) made the decision to do all of this work,
> and spend all of that money, in an open environment, and make the
> technology freely available and standardized for anyone to use.  None of
> the competing Internet architectures (Xerox, Novell, DEC, IBM, ISO,
> etc.) did that.  So when the rest of the world discovered that the
> military TCP/IP technology not only worked but also could solve their
> problems, the ascension of the Internet was natural.

Bob Kahn, Larry Roberts and Dave Russell are probably the closest to the
deciding parties
at the IPTO level but one has to credit George Heilmeier and Steve Lukasic
as DARPA
Directors for their strong support for ARPANET and then Internet.

New postal address:
Google
1875 Explorer Street, 10th Floor
Reston, VA 20190