[ih] history of bounce processing, was update about bogus list unsubcribe requests

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Fri Aug 26 19:40:42 PDT 2016

On 8/26/2016 15:55, John R. Levine wrote:

> OK.  Having looked at the bounce code in some list managers, I'm not
> surprised.

An aside that does not need discussion, as far as I can tell.....

Some email make a big deal out the difference between a "rejection"
where the email was thrown on the floor and the SENDER is notified while
still connected; and a "bounce" where the mail is accepted and delivered
to an SMTP handler and the connection is dropped, then subsequently
thrown on the floor (by a spam handler, perhaps) and notice is emailed
to the header FROM address (which is often some third party innocent of
the goings on).

Does anybody still send a delayed-in-queue trash?  I see one every once
in a while but it is always a genyouwine spammy bounce.

> R's,
> John
> _______

And while we are talking about Olde Stuphe--am I the only on that uses
the dash dash space EOL sentinel
to signal EOM and start of .sig?