[ih] update about bogus list unsubcribe requests

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Fri Aug 26 19:36:13 PDT 2016

On 8/26/16 10:17 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

>>> nope. i wish it were so.
>> When I looked at mailmam a year or so ago, it said they do all the
>> development with postgresql, but since it's SQL it should work with
>> other SQL databases such as mysql, but they haven't tried it.
>>
>> Has that changed?  That seems close enough to "needs" for practical purposes.
> mailman 2 stores its config data in the file system, in *.pck files,
> which are basically persistent python hash tables. there is no SQL
> support. in fact, getting mailman to run with postfix when postfix is
> using SQL to store its config, is well nigh impossible.
>
> mailman 3 is not yet ready for prime time. it will use a shim layer than
> can be provided by postgresql. you do not need to think about mailman 3 yet.

Yes, my main reason for going with Sympa, back in the day, was that it
used a database, while Mailman did not - making it far more cumbersome
when a single subscriber belonged to multiple lists.

For Mailman 3, the documentation says:

"Mailman uses the SQLAlchemy ORM to provide persistence of data in a
relational database. By default, Mailman uses Python’s built-in SQLite3
database, however, SQLAlchemy is compatible with PostgreSQL and MySQL,
among possibly others."

Currently, Mailman is known to work with either the default SQLite3
database, or PostgreSQL. (Volunteers to port it to other databases are
welcome!)."

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra