[ih] history of bounce processing, was update about bogus list unsubcribe requests

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Aug 26 13:55:04 PDT 2016

>> If this list is like many other old mailman lists, it does no bounce
>> pruning at all, with predictably unfortunate results.
> We do use bounce processing, FWIW. It simply failed to work for this
> address, for whatever reason.

OK.  Having looked at the bounce code in some list managers, I'm not
surprised.

So since we're talking about Internet history anyway, ...

I assume that back in the heroic era when lists were just large MTA
aliases, the bounces went back to the human manager who did whatever was
needed.  Since most of the bounces were actually those obnoxious sendmail
"It's been two hours and I'm still working on it, and will tell you again
two hours from now", the usual action was nothing.

Dan Bernstein's VERP hack showed up in qmail in about 1998.  It embedded
the recipient address in the bounce address, which made automatic
processing pretty easy, at to the extent that bounce messages actually
menat that an address didn't work.  When did list managers start parsing
DSNs and DSN-like things such as the "Hi. This is ..." that qmail and its
relatives produce?

R's,
John