[ih] what is and isn't the web, was Rise and Fall of the Gopher Protocol

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Aug 23 09:14:17 PDT 2016

> We always need to make sure that the perfect isn't the enemy...
>
> If a big guy with a beard and cigar shows up wearing a girl scout uniform,
> he's not going to be let through...

Hm, that may explain why my troop always had poor sales numbers.

In any event, as I hardly need tell you, one of the most persistent Well
Known Bad Ideas (WKBI) is to stop spam with a walled garden, where the
people inside are all nice and the spammers are all locked out.

Now you've replaced the spam problem with the introduction problem, who to
let in, which is even more intractable than the spam problem.  It soon
leads to the observation that any community large enough to be interesting
is large enough to have people who you don't want.

Regards,