[ih] what is and isn't the web, was Rise and Fall of the Gopher Protocol

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Mon Aug 22 08:31:11 PDT 2016

I was thinking the same thing.

Being the largest military contract on campus, we were being demonstrated against often and we were participating both to counter the arguments that were wrong and to support the ones that were right.  We fit right in. One of my favorite stories was when four of us left Urbana to go out to Philly to work on the machine. As we got off the plane in Chicago, the flight attendant said to me: “Are you guys in a band?”  ;-) I replied, no we are crypto-fascist lackeys of the military industrial state.  A phrase we heard often in the demonstrations. Our office was fire-bombed at one point but it didn’t go off. (You have to be pretty bad to make a Molotov cocktail that doesn’t work!)

Doing work for ARPA was a real concern, at an ARPANET pre-meeting there was a lot of reticence being expressed about taking their money. It is said that John Melvin got up and said, Guys, it is okay, our money is only bloody on one side!   Whether it is happened or not, I am not sure. But it was a good line.