[ih] what is and isn't the web, was Rise and Fall of the Gopher Protocol

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Mon Aug 22 08:00:54 PDT 2016

Well, I kind of new you were making a joke and I agree that ‘telecommunication network’ always sounded to cumbersome to me too. It might have been 'telecom network.’  Looking for it this morning, it certainly looked like it got lost pretty early. There is a lot of talk about it being process-to-process or terminal-to-terminal, but nothing that would get you Telnet.

And of course, it go very confusing when they spun out Telenet.

As for the eunuchs, that even goes to “2nd order’ use!  Unix is of course a castrated Multics. And in 1975, when we put the first Unix up on the Net on our PDP-11/45, the next thing was to strip it down to make it fit on an LSI-11, which of course we called eunix. ;-)

Then there was the Burros MCP. The lowest level languages on the machine were Algol and an extension of Algol for writing OSs called ESPOL.  So all programs looked like procedures.  The OS was just a process with a stack and user processes were simply procedures given their own stack (it was called a cactus stack). The uses process was set up to on completion simply return back to the OS stack. The procedure in the OS that created user jobs was of course called Motherforker.  The schedule queue was called the sheet. So of course there were variables related to it called stackofsheet and pileofsheet.