[ih] Fwd: [Dewayne-Net] The Rise and Fall of the Gopher Protocol

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 13:16:10 PDT 2016

On 21/08/2016 23:34, Johan Helsingius wrote:
> On 21-08-16 01:55, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
>> somebody else would have done it, IMHO.
>
> Well, there was Erwise in 1991...
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story/21076/The_World_s_First_Graphical_Browser_Erwise
>
> 	Julf

Interesting.
"ran on the X Window System" was a bit limiting at the time, but when Tim BL
came into my office in summer 1993 and virtually ordered me to try Mosaic, it
was via an NCD X-Window terminal, and I showed it to my systems guy, and within
the day our group had its own Web server.

BTW there's a wealth of primary material at https://www.w3.org/History/19921103-hypertext/hypertext/

   Brian