[ih] Fwd: [Dewayne-Net] The Rise and Fall of the Gopher Protocol

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 13:35:13 PDT 2016

> the 23rd Internet Engineering Task
> Force (IETF), an elite convocation of academics and government officials
> from around the world

Um, no. If you look at the proceedings, academic and government officials were
far outnumbered by industry people. I won't comment on 'elite' ;-)

> In the race to rule the internet, one observer noted,
> “Gopher seems to have won out.”

Who, I wonder? I no longer have my copies of The Matrix from that era, but sitting
at CERN we kept an eye on the growth curves for WAIS, Gopher and WWW and I don't
recall Gopher being a clear leader. Certainly, WWW didn't take over until Mosaic
was released, but after that it was no contest. The more interesting sessions
with TimBL at the IETF were after Mosaic.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter