[ih] How the Soviet Union Sent Its First Man to the Internet in 1982

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Aug 8 10:24:21 PDT 2016

Dear Larry,

I am ever so sorry to be answering 6 months later to an email you sent
back in January. I guess threads live, die... and resurrect.

On 02/01/2016 01:19, Larry press wrote:
> Olivier,
>
> I don't believe we've ever met, but your connectivity list was/is great.

Thx. I believe you probably are one of the earliest people that I have
exchanged an email with, and have not met in person yet.

>> china
> Good point. Did the communication move beyond Beijing?

Yes it did. I wrote about back in OneWebDay stories.
http://stories.onewebday.org/?p=40
(See story 2 - Chinese Dreams)

I do have the original message thread with all the names, threads etc.
The problem is that as this topic is still extremely sensitive in China,
I've redacted all the names with "XXX" where needed. You never know if
this might not cause trouble for people who were mentioned.

>> Although this message was published in a discussion list at the time, I have not found it archived anywhere on the Web.
> Has there been a subsequent archive?
>
> We pulled one together after the Soviet Coup attempt -- it's at
> http://www.cs.oswego.edu/~dab/coup/

That is great. I am not aware of a similar archive for China.

> We are leaving a lot of tracks for historians these days.

Fragile tracks. So much stuff has dropped off line, including a lot of
USENET gold nuggets... I sometimes think of a suitcase containing around
20Kg of printed documents spurted out from a DEC LP37 back in 1989,
currently in storage with things I've never seen online since. Stuff
like a handful of documents from the online CSNET archive. I hope the
ink keeps well.

Kindest regards,

Olivier