[ih] Fiction->History

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Thu Sep 24 18:19:29 PDT 2015

Larry Sheldon wrote:
> On 9/24/2015 11:56, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>> A few more obvious ones comes to mind:
>>
>> "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
>>
>> "Colossus: The Forbin Project" - and lots of variants on that theme (up
>> to, and including, the Terminator movies -- and what with automatically
>> swarming drones now a reality, somehow Skynet seems to loom on the near
>> horizon!)
>
> This one is interesting (I may have read it--the other two I don't
> recall) because I got to meet Tony Sale* and was given a tour of the
> reconstructed "Colossus", the actual first digital computer (before
> ENIAC).
>

>> "Shockwave Rider" - which seemed to get an awful lot of things right,
>> for its time
>
> Was the network a protagonist in these?

Well, sort of:
- in "Moon is a Harsh Mistress," the sort-of-network-of-computers that
runs all the systems on the moon "wakes up" and becomes a major character
- Colusus - the movie - the computer is a main character, not so much a
network
- "Shockwave Rider" - the network isn't alive - but things like worms
are major foci of the work