[ih] Fiction->History

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Thu Sep 24 14:36:33 PDT 2015

On 9/24/2015 11:56, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> A few more obvious ones comes to mind:
>
> "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
>
> "Colossus: The Forbin Project" - and lots of variants on that theme (up
> to, and including, the Terminator movies -- and what with automatically
> swarming drones now a reality, somehow Skynet seems to loom on the near
> horizon!)

This one is interesting (I may have read it--the other two I don't
recall) because I got to meet Tony Sale* and was given a tour of the
reconstructed "Colossus", the actual first digital computer (before ENIAC).

> "Shockwave Rider" - which seemed to get an awful lot of things right,
> for its time

Was the network a protagonist in these?

*
http://www.computerweekly.com/photostory/2240115075/Colossus-the-worlds-first-electronic-programmable-computer/1/Colossus-and-the-late-Tony-Sale

--
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)