[ih] Eyes on the Internet?

Alex McKenzie amckenzie3 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 21 17:15:38 PDT 2015

Brian,
Yes, it was the National Security Agency.  As far as I know they were just gaining experience with the new technology.  In the second quarter of 1973, BBN undertook a study of “techniques for transmitting private data through the ARPA Network” and proposed developing a “Private Line Interface” (PLI) to let “simple-minded” systems use the ARPAnet “in lieu of a point-to-point communication circuit.” The PLI design also allowed use of crypto equipment for classified traffic. [BBN Report 2580, pp 10-13].  I think this was the beginning of NSA involvement with ARPAnet, and the NSA node may have been related to the PLI project.  You could look at http://xbbn.weebly.com/bbn-internet-engineering-timeline.html for other engineering milestones related to the PLI project.  Others on the list may have more specific knowledge of NSA involvement with ARPAnet.
Cheers,Alex