[ih] Significant milestones in the history of TCP/IP

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 13:27:17 PDT 2015

On 17/09/2015 04:39, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 9/16/2015 6:12 AM, Alex McKenzie wrote:
>> Whether anything about the ARPAnet had much to do with the history of
>> TCP/IP is a different question, but if people think the answer to that
>> question is "yes" then probably both Baran and Davies also belong in the
>> story.
>

> the history of Internet technologies is best viewed as a continuum, IMO.

I'm looking at the book "Computer Networks and Their Protocols" by Davies et al,
published 1979. It has a section on routing in large networks, which is really
about inter-networking and hierarchical routing. As references for that topic,
they cited Cerf & Kahn, IEEE Trans Communications COM-22 637 (May 1974) and
Sunshine, Computer Networks 1 155 (Jan 1977).

The book as a whole hardly discusses ARPANET though. It's X.25 based and describes
an early sketch of something that looks like OSI TP4 transport. I guess Peter
Kirstein was the only Brit interested in the ARPANET in those days.
http://nrg.cs.ucl.ac.uk/mjh/kirstein-arpanet.pdf

     Brian