[ih] Significant milestones in the history of TCP/IP

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Sep 16 09:39:25 PDT 2015

On 9/16/2015 6:12 AM, Alex McKenzie wrote:
> Whether anything about the ARPAnet had much to do with the history of
> TCP/IP is a different question, but if people think the answer to that
> question is "yes" then probably both Baran and Davies also belong in the
> story.

the history of Internet technologies is best viewed as a continuum, IMO.

that said, for the current exercise, i'm interested in limiting the
scope to the history of major tcp/ip milestones.

by way of marking a starting point for discussion, the anecdotal summary
i heard a long time ago was that first discussions on internetworking
were held during the arpanet public demonstration, at the first iccc in
1972.

i'm not inclined to count that as a 'milestone' but would think that
circulation of the first tcp design would count as the beginning marker
for this timeline.

but that's just my own perspective, and as i said, this is intended to
be a community (rough consensus) effort.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking