[ih] Significant milestones in the history of TCP/IP

"James P.G. Sterbenz 司徒傑莫 송재윤" jpgs at ittc.ku.edu
Tue Sep 15 11:07:26 PDT 2015

On 15 Sep 2015, at 12:06, Dave Crocker <dhc2 at dcrocker.net> wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> At a conference yesterday:
>
>   http://youtu.be/_7rcAIbvzVY
>
> I heard a presenter offer a rather creative interpretation of the
> history of IPv6, which deviated significantly from my own understanding
> of it.
>
> It might be worth trying to document the actual major milestones.
>
> In this case, I'm sure the errors were true errors, unlike the
> unfortunate recent shenanigans about the history of email, but I'm
> thinking that it would be reasonable to repeat the exercise we did for that:
>
>     emailhistory.org
>
> The idea would be to have community discussion and agreement about the
> major milestones.  Which milestones were seminal?  When did they occur?
> Is there documentation for it?  Maybe who the actors were.

This is an excellent idea, and I’m sure I wouldn’t be the only person for which it would be a useful reference for teaching networking courses.

> I'd originally focused on IPv6, but a facebook thread on this produced a
> suggestion to broaden to all of IP (and I think that requires including
> TCP.)
>
> If folk are interested, I'll set up tcpiphistory.net for this purpose.

Please do.  I’d hope that related major milestones in Cyclades and Davie’s NPL would be included.

Cheers,
James

James P.G. Sterbenz  司徒傑莫  송재윤  +1 508 944 3067  www.ittc.ku.edu/~jpgs
jpgs@{ittc|eecs}.ku.edu  154 Nichols  ITTC EECS – The University of Kansas
jpgs at comp.lancs.ac.uk    Comp & Comms and InfoLab21 – Lancaster University
jpgs at comp.polyu.edu.hk    Computing – The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
jpgs at tik.ee.ethz.ch            jpgs@{acm|ieee|comsoc|computer|m.ieice}.org
jpgs at sterbenz.org              skype:jpgsterbenz     jpgsterbenz at gmail.com
jpgs!scc!lancs!janet!geant!moskvax!ihnp4!internet2!gpn!kanren!ku!ittc!jpgs