[ih] ARPANET and Apollo 11

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Thu Mar 12 10:37:38 PDT 2015

Jack Haverty wrote:
> On 03/12/2015 08:19 AM, Guy Almes wrote:
>>     My hunch is that future folks will consider the ARPAnet and say
>> "cool" and "big impact", and they'll look back on Apollo and say "very
>> cool".
> The Internet has become like water and air in most people's minds -
> something that's always there, critical to life but mostly invisible.
> Travelling away from Earth is once again a science fiction dream, though
> history alleges that we used to do such things.

Yeah.  I have a great quote from Vint, along the lines of
"Infrastructure is something that's everywhere, that we use every day,
and we only notice when it breaks."

> My hunch is that until off-planet travel becomes common, people may
> remember Apollo and think it was very cool that we used to know how to
> do such things, or maybe deny that we could.

Not even.  Real life space travel will never compare to what we see on
TV and interactive games.  It could be that the dream is dead. Sigh...

> Do you know who invented the wheel...?

Well that one is easy.  Johnny Hart, of course. :-)

Cheers,

Miles Fidelman