[ih] ARPANET and Apollo 11

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Thu Mar 12 08:19:26 PDT 2015

Noel,
   The coincidence of 1969 as Apollo 11 and the ARPAnet is indeed
interesting.

   Your question could be taken (at least) two different ways.
   First, which was the greater human/cultural accomplishment/achievement?
   Second, which had the greater historical impact/consequences?

   The second seems easier to me: the ARPAnet/Internet has had huge
(mostly positive) impact on so many aspects of modern life -- economy,
culture, technology.  No need to elaborate in this circle.

   The first is tougher.
   Just yesterday, in conversation with a friend, we noted that
President Kennedy had, in his 1961 speech at Rice University, challenged
the country to put a man on the moon (and safely return them) by the end
of the decade.  Eight and a fraction years later it was done, and in
spectacular fashion.  If our national leaders were to challenge us to
attempt to repeat this today, could we do it?  This mixes so many
notions of national solidarity/will and the cohesiveness of our (US)
society with the normal technical/economic issues, but it would be quite
a challenge.

   My hunch is that future folks will consider the ARPAnet and say
"cool" and "big impact", and they'll look back on Apollo and say "very
cool".
	-- Guy