[ih] How the Soviet Union Sent Its First Man to the Internet in 1982

Dmitry Burkov dburk at burkov.aha.ru
Thu Dec 31 02:19:07 PST 2015

Olivier,

> On Dec 31, 2015, at 12:17 PM, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> wrote:
>

> On 31/12/2015 01:19, Larry press wrote:
>> > And in 1991, there were already a few hundred users connected to the Unix network in the USSR.
>>
>> That network played a role in carrying information into and out of the SU and within the SU during the Soviet coup attempt:
>>
>> http://cis471.blogspot.com/2011/01/before-twitter-revolutions-there-was.html <http://cis471.blogspot.com/2011/01/before-twitter-revolutions-there-was.html>
>>
>> I stumbled into to it after co-chairing an HCI conference in Moscow.
>
> Not said in the article was that the communication went literally "under the radar" of the censors since the link to the outside world was a microwave link to Finland - a pretty unconventional route outside of Russia.

that is absolutely wrong.

At this moment we had only analog communications lines.
Connection through Estonia 64K digital microwave link was deployed only next March and one year later we installed in two stages
E1 to SPB and some later first transborder terrestrial E1 to Finland - julf (Johan Helsingius) can remind dates when we had business meeting on it in IVO (Finland
power company).

It was not possible to implement MITM at this time.

Dima