[ih] AUP revision to allow commercial traffic

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Sun Dec 6 11:29:30 PST 2015

On 12/4/2015 9:26 AM, Jonathan Grudin wrote:
> I visited USC/ISI in 1993 and remarked that commercial traffic seemed to have begun and was told emphatically that it was because enforcement was lax.

Around 1988/89 while I was at Digital Equipment, the Support Services
folk who were funding my lab said they needed to be able to do regular
customer service -- ie, service their commercial accounts -- over the
Arpanet, but couldn't because of the AUP.

However since they saw DEC's competitors already operating this way,
they said they needed to get the DEC attorneys to find a way to say it
was ok.  This took some effort, but eventually the lead Corporate
attorney did bless such conduct.

So, yeah, it was lax.  For a long time.

d/

--