[ih] more on bogus list unsubscribes

"James P.G. Sterbenz 司徒傑莫 송재윤" jpgs at ittc.ku.edu
Mon Aug 10 08:35:27 PDT 2015

On 10 Aug 2015, at 19:40, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

>> From: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com>
>
>> I still wonder whether it isn't a software quirk somewhere.
>
> An additional data point (not sure if I've mentioned this before): I seem to
> get them when someone else replies to a message I've sent (i.e. I'm the To:
> field), and they (or their email software automatically) CC's the list.
>
> So either someone is doing this manually _only_ in those circumstances (even
> harder to explain, unless we're being trolled by someone who's making it look
> like a bug), or it's software somewhere (either a bug, or someone who wants to
> make it look that way).
>
> The requests themselves are no biggie, I just ignore them. But I always
> follow the Beowulf Schaeffer rule - 'anything you don't understand could be
> dangerous’.

I just got one, some hours after I posted.  Too long to be a bot, but just right for someone manually in North America (I posted late morning Hong Kong time).

I have a hypothesis...

Cheers,
James

James P.G. Sterbenz  司徒傑莫  송재윤  +1 508 944 3067  www.ittc.ku.edu/~jpgs
jpgs@{ittc|eecs}.ku.edu  154 Nichols  ITTC EECS – The University of Kansas
jpgs at comp.lancs.ac.uk    Comp & Comms and InfoLab21 – Lancaster University
jpgs at comp.polyu.edu.hk    Computing – The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
jpgs at tik.ee.ethz.ch            jpgs@{acm|ieee|comsoc|computer|m.ieice}.org
jpgs at sterbenz.org              skype:jpgsterbenz     jpgsterbenz at gmail.com
jpgs!scc!lancs!janet!geant!moskvax!ihnp4!internet2!gpn!kanren!ku!ittc!jpgs