[ih] Any suggestions for first uses of "e-mail" or "email"?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sat Aug 8 07:11:18 PDT 2015

> On Aug 8, 2015, at 8:48 AM, John Day <jeanjour at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Pretty amusing, considering ITU had nothing to do with its development.  It was all done in ISO meetings.

(Apologies - that was my subconscious (and errant) substitution of the boogeyman du jour… )

The discussion that took place was regarding potential for IETF to lack change control vis-a-vis
the ISO process, and it turns out to be fairly well covered in final IPng recommendation doc
(RFC1752) -

" There seems to be a profound disagreement within the TUBA community
   over the question of the ability of the IETF to modify the CLNP standards.
   In our presentation in Houston we said that we felt that "clone and run”
   was a legitimate process.  This is also what the IAB proposed in "IP version 7”.
   [IAB92]  The TUBA community has not reached consensus that this view is
   reasonable.  While many,  including a number of the CLNP document authors,
   are adamant that this is not an issue and the IETF can make modifications
   to the base standards, many others are just as adamant that the standards
   ca only be changed through the ISO standards process.  Since the
   overwhelming feeling within the IETF is that the IETF must 'own' the
   standards on which it is basing its future, this disagreement within
   the TUBA community was disquieting.
"

i.e. we came close to use of ISO-CLMP protocol for the Internet at large, but in the
end went in a different direction primarily due to reasons that were not technical.

/John