[ih] Any suggestions for first uses of "e-mail" or "email"?

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sat Aug 8 03:05:47 PDT 2015

Larry Roberts asked me what he should use for protocol in Telenet and I
said TCP but he said he could not sell datagrams and went on to develop
X.25's virtual circuits with French, Canadian and UK assistance at CCITT
(now ITU-T). That was standardized in 1976 while TCP was evolving. I told
him we would run TCP (eventually TCP/IP) over X.25 and by 1981 or so that
is what we did in CSNET. 1822 was never a contender for a global standard.
X.25 begot X.75 which was the CCITT response to the Internet's TCP/IP.

OSI was yet another effort to craft a non-TCP/IP Internet and that got
started in 1978, using X.25 as the underlying virtual circuit basis.
Eventually an OSI connectionless mode was developed CLNP but never gained
much popularity.

The TCP/IP vs OSI battle lasted from 1978 to 1993. X.25 was around from
1976 to 2003 or so as I recall. I shut down the last MCI X.25 offering
about 2003 or so if memory serves.