[ih] Any suggestions for first uses of "e-mail" or "email"?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat Aug 8 00:49:50 PDT 2015

Jack Haverty wrote:

> The network changed the environment for human collaboration.  In the
> traditional ways, discussion and debate would occur by a series of
> papers and presentations, published over months if not years.  In the
> new network way, similar discussions and debates occurred, in hours or
> days, over mail conversations, mailing lists, newsgroups, etc.  Only a
> part of that was captured in formal means which survive today.  IMHO, it
> was unfortunately a pretty small part.
Jack,

Parenthetical comment:  This is kind of what's driven my career - I
still remember "catching the bug" from the really early email lists and
bboards at MIT.  Led to work on C2 systems, and starting the Center for
Civic Networking.

I keep thinking that there's a book to be written about this.

Cheers,

Miles