[ih] Any suggestions for first uses of "e-mail" or "email"?

Andrew Russell arussell at stevens.edu
Tue Aug 4 11:02:59 PDT 2015

> On Aug 4, 2015, at 1:11 PM, Jack Haverty <jack at 3kitty.org> wrote:
>
> Good point, John.  Computer-based mail had been around for more than a
> decade by the late 70s, and was on the radar of at least some parts of
> the government.  I recall using CTSS mail back in the late 60s, as well
> as similar services even on IBM mainframes.
>
> I'd also suggest that the historians broaden the search for the genesis
> of the term "email" beyond the work done by research and government
> communities.
>
> In particular, I think the "History of the Internet" must include
> activities outside of what we often think of as the ARPANET and
> TCP-based Internet.  I recall there were lots of other activities
> creating new technologies using computers and communications, and the
> ARPA-based work was only one of them.  The historians seem to have
> forgotten about the rest.

No, we haven’t.  I (and several co-authors) made this exact point in:

- a 2012 conference paper called “Histories of Networking vs The History of the Internet" - http://arussell.org/papers/russell-SIGCIS-2012.pdf
- a co-authored introduction to a 2015 special issue on “Histories of the Internet” - http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2517598 (the special issue has six papers that flesh out your insight - so that makes at least 9 of us who haven’t forgotten! - http://www.infoculturejournal.org/abstracts.  FWIW I wanted to call the special issue “Histories of Computer Networking,” after my senior colleagues suggested calling it “The History of the Internet,” so we compromised on “Histories of the Internet."
- a 2014 book where I describe OSI and other non-Arpanet/TCP efforts - http://arussell.org/open/
- a co-authored 2014 article, titled “In the Shadow of the ARPANET and Internet: Louis Pouzin and the Cyclades Network in the 1970s,” regrettably behind a paywall at http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/technology_and_culture/toc/tech.55.4.html, but I am happy to send the pdf to anyone interested.

… and I’m sure I’m forgetting many more similar analyses by historians, published and not, by me and by others.

I would like to think that journalists and their readers would understand (or at least try to understand) that a technology can be “invented” or “developed” by one community, but a popular name for that technology can be “coined” by someone else; that priority in coinage is not necessarily causality in invention and usage (we don’t use “email" *because* Shiva A called it that in the late 70s); and that invention and innovation are not the most significant or interesting aspects of technological and social change.  But you’ll forgive me for thinking that I’m fighting a losing battle along multiple fronts.

> Specifically, I remember that Xerox circa 1980 had a prominent presence
> in the commercial arena, focused on computerized and networked systems
> for business use and office automation, including what we would call
> mail.   Bob Metcalfe was in the middle of that; he was also a product of
> Lick/Vezza's group, working on ARPANET projects (and the early stages of
> Ethernet) before leaving it to join Xerox PARC.
>
> So, it's quite possible that the trade-press article in which I recall
> first seeing "email" was reporting about some project at PARC, or some
> discussions in the PTT/Postal world.  It may have had nothing to do with
> our ARPANET-based electronic mail.   It probably wasn't the first use of
> the term either.  We were far from alone in working with such ideas.
>
> I also recall thinking at the time when I saw "email" that it was yet
> another example of someone outside the technical cognoscenti attempting
> to corral some complex technology under the umbrella of a new vague
> buzzword, by attaching an "e" to the front of a well-known word, for use
> with non-technical audiences.

It appears that there are at least two of us that understand this point - maybe there’s hope after all!!  ;)

Andy