[ih] Any suggestions for first uses of "e-mail" or "email"?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Aug 4 10:11:42 PDT 2015

Good point, John.  Computer-based mail had been around for more than a
decade by the late 70s, and was on the radar of at least some parts of
the government.  I recall using CTSS mail back in the late 60s, as well
as similar services even on IBM mainframes.

I'd also suggest that the historians broaden the search for the genesis
of the term "email" beyond the work done by research and government
communities.

In particular, I think the "History of the Internet" must include
activities outside of what we often think of as the ARPANET and
TCP-based Internet.  I recall there were lots of other activities
creating new technologies using computers and communications, and the
ARPA-based work was only one of them.  The historians seem to have
forgotten about the rest.

Specifically, I remember that Xerox circa 1980 had a prominent presence
in the commercial arena, focused on computerized and networked systems
for business use and office automation, including what we would call
mail.   Bob Metcalfe was in the middle of that; he was also a product of
Lick/Vezza's group, working on ARPANET projects (and the early stages of
Ethernet) before leaving it to join Xerox PARC.

So, it's quite possible that the trade-press article in which I recall
first seeing "email" was reporting about some project at PARC, or some
discussions in the PTT/Postal world.  It may have had nothing to do with
our ARPANET-based electronic mail.   It probably wasn't the first use of
the term either.  We were far from alone in working with such ideas.

I also recall thinking at the time when I saw "email" that it was yet
another example of someone outside the technical cognoscenti attempting
to corral some complex technology under the umbrella of a new vague
buzzword, by attaching an "e" to the front of a well-known word, for use
with non-technical audiences.   I think there were lots of other
"e-xxxx" terms coined in that time frame.... but I can't recall any of them.

So, more places for the historians to research...

/Jack