[ih] why did CC happen at all?

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Mon Sep 1 11:01:54 PDT 2014

On 1 September 2014 09:34, Louis Mamakos <louie at transsys.com> wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2014, at 12:12 PM, Detlef Bosau <detlef.bosau at web.de> wrote:
>
>> We have pretty the same problem in ARQ protocols in wireless networks
>> and in TCP as well, so if you eventually would like to pursue a PhD in CS:
>> This problem a) can be solved and b) solutions are implemented and
>> available to the market ;-)
>
> So actually, you don't.  Perhaps from a theoretical perspective you
> believe this to be the case, but the real operational, engineering and
> business realities are different.
>
> Some given wireless network is tightly controlled and engineered by
> some single entity.  When you talk about congestion and flow control
> over the internet, many/most of those flows transit more than one
> operator's network.  And the scaling problems are different, and
> the revenue models are very different.

When you stop thinking about 802.11 as "MAC" and start thinking about
it as "RF", it's slightly different.

There -are- external entities also doing traffic (802.11 and
otherwise) on the same overlapping RF space as you. There are also
external (and internal, for completeness) sources of noise. You don't
have that tight control. So yes, congestion control and QoS
implementations on 802.11 networks end up having to take
non-local-entity inputs into account.

But yes, the scaling and revenue problems are different.

-adrian

(I hate to feed the troll, but I also dislike bad assumptions..)