[ih] why did CC happen at all?

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Mon Sep 1 09:34:06 PDT 2014

On Sep 1, 2014, at 12:12 PM, Detlef Bosau <detlef.bosau at web.de> wrote:

> We have pretty the same problem in ARQ protocols in wireless networks
> and in TCP as well, so if you eventually would like to pursue a PhD in CS:
> This problem a) can be solved and b) solutions are implemented and
> available to the market ;-)

So actually, you don't.  Perhaps from a theoretical perspective you
believe this to be the case, but the real operational, engineering and
business realities are different.

Some given wireless network is tightly controlled and engineered by
some single entity.  When you talk about congestion and flow control
over the internet, many/most of those flows transit more than one
operator's network.  And the scaling problems are different, and
the revenue models are very different.

You might well ask why we don't have end-to-end QoS treatment for
traffic over the Internet.  It is very much more a business problem
than it is turning the knobs on the routers to honor diffserv markings.

Since this is about the history of the Internet, you might look at
the INTSERV working group history in the IETF that attempts to address
end-to-end traffic and enhanced service models.  I think the only
significant part of this work in operation today is RSVP, used to
signal MPLS LSP establishment when doing traffic engineering.  But
for bulk flows on an ISP backbone, not individual connections/associations.

Louis Mamakos