[ih] One clarification: Re: When was Go Back N adopted by TCP

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Mon May 19 09:59:10 PDT 2014

one RTO per connection makes sense: calculate and monitor the RTT for the
connection and use that value to timeout and retransmit the oldest,
unacknowledged packet. This is NOT GBN. It makes no sense to do RTO per
packet calculation especially if the packet had to be retransmitted since
you then get into double delay affecting the RTT computation..

vint