[ih] When was Go Back N adopted by TCP

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon May 19 07:51:13 PDT 2014

Am 18.05.2014 16:03, schrieb Craig Partridge:

> TCP Tahoe was released in June 1988 and added the initial Van Jacobson
> versions of slow start and the like.  So, in short, TCP Tahoe was never based
> on go back n.

And that's what confuses me. Particularly as I thought for years, TCP
would use GBN as "default procedure" when a timeout occurs,
obviously I was wrong.

I had a closer look at the ns2 sources today (I don't work with the ns2
for about 5 years now, so I'm admittedly a bit out of practice) but as
far as I see, the ns-2 uses GBN.

So, we have (for the n-th time) the question: What is simulated at all
in the ns-2?

Unfortunately, I don't have the BSD 4.3 source code handy, when I can
obtain it somewhere (under non disclosure agreement, if necessary) I
would be interested in looking it up in the source code there.

However, I'm more than confused that obviously the two dozens of
industrial TCP flavours and the simulations in the ns-2 world simply
talk at cross purposes for about two decades.

Perhaps, we should correct our regulations that way, that PhD students
are awarded a PhD in computer science - when they work with TCP, or
a PhD in Cartoons und Urban Legends, when they work with the NS-2.

(Yes, this sounds harsh. It doesn't only sound harsh. It IS harsh.)

Computer scientists are engineers in the first.

And for engineers, the only important thing are (and we keep it that way
since the time of the Codex Hammurabi) proper standards and proper
definitions. And I'm still to dig deeper into the NS2 code, because I
simply cannot believe that TCP basically is not based on GBN
- and AT THE SAME TIME the ns2 is.

Unforatunately, I don't have a running ns2 version at the moment, this
is my fault and I still think I have to spend some nights of work to
keep up here.

But at the moment, this possible divergence leaves me shocked. And
that's decently spoken. But most likely, it is my own fault. And that
leaves my angry about myself. If this is due to my negligence, this
would be embarrassing for me :-(

Detlef

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30