[ih] History of Flaming

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu May 16 13:09:35 PDT 2013

On 17/05/2013 01:27, Craig Partridge wrote:
> I agree older flames are generally better.
>
> If you want to get truly serious about the genre, I think, in terms of
> influential flames "goto considered harmful" ranks high and, that was a
> paper letter to CACM in 1968.

Right, and "Real programmers don't write Pascal" was almost in the same
class, also originally paperware I think. It's to be found (undated and
unattributed) at http://www.gotterdammerung.org/humor/real-programmers.html.
Apparently it was in Datamation in July 1983 in a slightly different
version, but it's also attributed to S. Bassett in "USUS News and Report"
December, 1983.  "USUS" was the UCSD p-System User's Society.

It might also be interesting to look for the earliest libel actions over
on-line statements. The earliest I knew of was Godfrey v. Hallam-Baker
but somehow I doubt it was the first.

   Brian