[ih] History of Flaming

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Thu May 16 06:27:11 PDT 2013

I agree older flames are generally better.

If you want to get truly serious about the genre, I think, in terms of
influential flames "goto considered harmful" ranks high and, that was a
paper letter to CACM in 1968.  Recall it opens with "the quality of
programmers is a decreasing function of the density of go to statements in
the programms they produce."  (I always thought that part of what made
a good flame was an opening sentence that viciously grabbed the attention).

Thanks!

Craig

> > the smaller the bandwidth the less flaming, me thinks :-)-O UUCP
> > with 9600/2400/1200/300 baud *DID* exist in the very distant past...
>
> and the best classic flames came from that era
>
> randy
Craig Partridge
Chief Scientist, BBN Technologies
E-mail: craig at aland.bbn.com or craig at bbn.com