[ih] first use of "email" (redux)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Jun 5 12:11:20 PDT 2013

I can offer a little perspective on this...it's been a long time!

"Electronic mail" came in a lot of forms in the 1970s -- even telegrams,
telex, fax, etc., but if we limit the context to "network mail" in the
ARPANET, I think the history of FTP provides a good timeline.

I was at MIT in the "Dynamic Modelling" or DM group, from 1970 through
1977 as grad student and then staff.  Licklider ran this group, so it
was focussed on his interests, i.e., how to use computers to assist
human activities.  Abhay Bhushan was also in that group.  With our shiny
new ARPANET IMP connection and NCP, we experimented with lots of things,
including how to use the ARPANET to do things that we had been doing
within our own isolated machine environment previously.  One of those
was "mail", which was simply the ability to drop a small "note" that
another user would see when he or she next logged in.   That was a
feature common to many operating systems of the day.  Everyone on the
ARPANET was doing similar things.

Abhay was involved in the FTP genesis, and authored the first spec (RFC
114) in April 1971, describing what was being done at MIT on at least 2
machines - MIT-Multics and MIT-DM - to create a file transfer
capability.  That capability was then used to implement crude
"electronic mail", which worked simply by connecting to the "other"
machine with FTP, and either STORing, or more likely APPEnding your
"mail" to the existing mail file in the recipient's directory.  People
quickly wrote little wrapper programs so you didn't have to interact
directly with FTP commands, and little programs that would run when you
logged in and see if the file had been changed since last logout.  ("You
have new mail")  It was crude but it worked.

There was no structure to such messages -- no headers at all.  The
message was just whatever the human sender wrote.  But people quickly
started using standard office conventions for their mail, e.g., to show
who it was from, what it was about, etc.  Of course there were many such
formats, since everyone could make their own just as they did on
typewriters.

The FTP spec was revised by Abhay in RFC 265, 17 November 1971, where it
mentions that the minimal implementation provided the primitives
necessary for the most common uses, i.e., it provided the "basic control
functions necessary for basic file transfer and "mail" operations".   As
far as I have found, this is the earliest ARPANET community reference to
"mail", almost certainly referring to the shenanigans going on at MIT
and elsewhere to use the new ARPANET.  "Mail" was accomplished by
opening an FTP connection to the recipient's machine and using APPEnd to
add your message to the recipient's mailbox file.  The FTP spec was
further expanded and revised in RFC 354 in July 1972.

About that time, I was doing the mail implementation on MIT-DM (Lick
*really* wanted to send mail to people at ARPA), and Ken Pogran was
doing the Multics implementation.  MIT-DM was an ITS operating system,
which meant it was wide open, no security at all.  Multics, OTOH, had
very strict ideas about who was allowed to do what, and this was causing
all sorts of problems with using those crude "mail" procedures involving
who was allowed to write into files in someone else's space, and how to
have a "server" process that acted on behalf of many users.

As I recall, it was easy to collar Abhay -- his office was just down the
hall.  After sufficient badgering about the problems with using FTP to
do these mail activities, he issued RFC 385 (August 18, 1972) which
extended the FTP spec by the addition of two new commands "MAIL" and
MLFL", which separated electronic mail functions from the rest of file
transfer and manipulation.   By distinguishing those as separate
functions from regular operations like APPEnd, it became possible to
write programs that had different capabilities for the different
functions -- in particular a "mail server" that could have permission to
manipulate certain files like "mailboxes".   I view that RFC as the
point where "mail" on the ARPANET began as a distinct service, and set
the stage for further development of headers, mail protocols, etc.,
which occurred later through the 70s - as captured in RFCs 524, 561,
680, 724, and finally 733.

All during the 70s, there was a *lot* of discussion about the "network
mail" technology, but I can believe that the term "email" didn't arise
until later.  The term "electronic mail" would of course have to arise
before the contraction to "email".   But there were legal and political
issues that, IMHO, forced the use of "ARPANET mail", or "network mail"
during that period.

"Electronic mail" was a forbidden term, in the ARPANET community. Here's
why...

In December 1980, AFIPS hosted an invitational workshop on "technical
and policy issues in electronic mail and message systems" in Washington
DC.   I still have a copy of the Proceedings (I was listed as an author,
which is probably why I still have it).  There's unfortunately no
publication number or other identification - it's a paperback 207-page
book titled "Electronic Mail and Message Systems, Technical and Policy
Perspectives", editted by Robert E. Kahn, Albert Vezza, and Alexander D.
Roth, copyright 1981 by AFIPS.  It's a good resource for anyone curious
about the non-technical perspective on electronic mail at that time, and
also the view from people outside the ARPANET community (i.e., most of
the world).

For example, one of the papers (by Steve Lukasik of the FCC) traces the
origin of "electronic mail", or "electrical mail" to "the
Post-Office-operated telegraph line between Baltimore and Washington
starting in 1845".   Yes, email began in 1845.  Bet you didn't know
that.   I didn't.

The paper from the White House notes: "Electronic Mail as
'Communication' -- there is a question about whether or not this new
service is 'communications' or is something else.   The FCC has not
really attempted to answer that question."

So, the Rest of World knew about "Electronic Mail" but wasn't quite sure
what it was or how it fit in to the legal and bureaucratic framework.
Whatever was going on within the ARPANET community was just an
experiment, not to be worried about.

Getting to the original question about "email"....

As I recall, during the early 70s, we techies naturally used the postal
system as a model for a starting point for our own work in "electronic
mail".  But we were also strongly encouraged to *avoid* saying anything
that could be interpreted as working on a project to compete with or
replace "snail mail" or any other form of established communications
service.  Such a project would have strong domestic and international
ramifications, with the regulations, treaties, labor relations, tariffs,
etc., associated with interstate and international commerce, PTTs, etc.,
etc., etc.  So whatever we were doing, it wasn't that.

"Electronic mail", in those days, meant things like Western Union,
Telex, TWX, Fax, etc., all of which were well established, heavily
regulated, defended by stacks of laws and treaties, and entrenched.   So
whatever we were doing couldn't possibly be "electronic mail".  It was
far better to call it "network mail". And just wait.

IMHO, the ARPANET created "network mail".  Some time later, people
recognized it as yet another form of "electronic mail".  Some time after
that, they forgot about all the earlier forms like TWX etc., and "email"
became synonymous with and subsumed "network mail".

Enjoy!

/Jack Haverty