[ih] first use of "email" (redux)

Alex McKenzie amckenzie3 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 5 05:33:35 PDT 2013

On January 4, 1978 ARPA published a "Completion Report" for the ARPAnet project (http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/chris/DIGITAL_ARCHIVE/ARPANET/DARPA4799.pdf).  In that report there are discussions of what we call email on pages III-113 to III-115 and III-131.  In both instances the term "network mail" was used.  This leads me to believe that the word "email" was not in common use in the ARPAnet community in the second half of 1977 when the report was written.  So it is easy for me to believe that the 1979 date given by the OED is correct.

Cheers,
Alex