[ih] The story of BGP?

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Mon Feb 11 10:01:10 PST 2013

Tony,
   Your points make sense to me.
   I'll stick with my "regrettable" word, if only in two limited senses:
<> the degree to which the elegant "full AS path" metric combined with
the "local decision" idea resulted in the current highly complex and
somewhat fragile inter-AS routing structure was probably greater than we
imagined back in 1989,
<> it's just a reminder that both the engineering technology of BGP
itself *and* the highly dynamic nature of the operational and business
dynamics of the 1989-ish Internet combined in interesting ways.

   I will *not* contradict that, to the degree that this messiness
bought us the wonderful scalability of the Internet, this
messiness/complexity was worth it.
	-- Guy