[ih] Lessons to be learnt from Internet history

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sat Feb 9 14:17:29 PST 2013

John Curran's comments below are leading me to think it would be worthwhile
to document some major lessons which can be learnt from Internet history.
Elsewhere, there are substantial efforts underway to define Internet Rights
and Principles, Internet Core Values etc, and these efforts hopefully will
be useful in internet governance evolution.

So what lessons could be learnt from Internet history which could inform
these efforts?  I'm happy to suggest a couple to get the ball rolling, but I
am sure there are many others.

Here's my start.

1. Think long term.

Plenty of examples discussed here (good and bad). We need to plan for an
Internet that is around forever, not for a quick fix that patches an
immediate problem while giving rise to longer term problems.

2. Keep it open.

Nothing demonstrates this more to me than the difference between an open
platform such as the World Wide Web and a proprietary application such as
Facebook (the latter now becoming a defacto Internet to a younger generation
whose only "Internet" access is via mobile apps). This proprietary ownership
raises a series of issues around privacy, access, rights, and jurisdiction
which are quite different on a open platform.

Anyway, that's a start. I am sure there are others and a couple are in my
mind as I write. But I would be interested to hear from this list as regards
the lessons which either have been learnt, or should have been learnt, from
Internet history thus far.

Ian Peter

Message: 2