[ih] What is the origin of the root account?

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Thu Apr 11 18:15:55 PDT 2013

On 11 Apr 2013 at 19:44, Larry Sheldon wrote:

> For sure I think Unix was a major component of the early layers of the
> snowball that is The Internet--but I thought the initial development was
> done on IBMish and special purpose hardware--did the IMP's have an OS?
> And don't VAXen speak VMS (everyone I ever met did).

Oh boy, are you going to get a lot of replies to this.  In the sense that
you're using the term, the IMP did *not* have an OS.  It was a
special-purpose real-time system that acted as the switching nodes for
the ARPAnet and the interface for the Host systems.

One of the early plans was to get as many *DIFFERENT* Host systems
connected up to the ARPAnet and, of course, talking to one another.  I
think the Sigma-7 at UCLA talking to SAIL at Stanford.  I think the only
IBM system on the early net was a 360/67 at Rand (??).   MIT had ITS and
Multics.  BBN had all sorts of systems: BSD's, TENEX's, assorted PDP-11
systems.  Even the PDP-1 Exec III was an ARPAnet host..:o)

The VAXen on the early network were running BSD [Unix].   When did
someone build a TCP/IP stack for VMS?

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA