[ih] What is the origin of the root account?

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Thu Apr 11 17:44:28 PDT 2013

On 4/11/2013 4:02 PM, Larry Sheldon wrote:
> On 4/11/2013 1:58 PM, Eduardo A. Suárez wrote:
>
>> this is off-topic, but perhaps anyone can help. What is the origin of
>> the root account in unix?
>
> It certainly is "history" although the "internet" part is a little weak
> since unix existed before the Internet did, I don't think unix had much
> to do with the development of the Internet except as the operating
> system on some hosts that were reachable in the early days.

The thread seems to have veered sharply off the topic on what I intended
to be a throw-away intro.  Like veering off-topic never happened before.

For sure I think Unix was a major component of the early layers of the
snowball that is The Internet--but I thought the initial development was
done on IBMish and special purpose hardware--did the IMP's have an OS?
And don't VAXen speak VMS (everyone I ever met did).

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: